Our law firm was formed by consumer rights attorney Michael L. Hurwitz, Esq. in the year 2011.
Michael received his undergraduate degree from New York University in the year 2002 and received his law degree from Hofstra University in the year 2005. Michael was admitted to the practice of law in the State of New York in the year 2006, and has since been admitted to practice law in the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, which includes, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and all of New York City.
Michael regularly appears in the Civil Court of the City of New York as well as the New York State Supreme Court to defend New Yorkers against un-fair debt collection practices. Michael opposes debt collection and garnishment lawyers such as Forster & Garbus LLP suing on a debt owed to the collection agency Midland Funding LLC, or Daniels Norelli Scully & Cecere PC suing on a debt claimed by debt buyer CACH LLC.
Prior to forming his own law firm, Michael spent several years working for prominent debtor-creditor law firms in New York City.
"You've done an excellent job with this case."
- New York County Supreme Court Justice of the Commercial Division, Retired.
(Voted #1 mediator in the United States for 2014 & 2013 by National Law Journal)
- Served as mediator on Michael Hurwitz's debt defense and counterclaim litigation.
Michael also litigated an American Express Centurion Bank / Travel Related Services high-balance business credit card debt of $425,000 in the Commercial Division of the Kings County Supreme Court, opposing Panteris & Panteris law firm. To read about how we defeated American Express / Panteris & Panteris motion for summary judgment, please click here for our blog post.
- Court Attorney for Judge presiding in debt defense and counterclaim litigation
- Michael Hurwitz defeated the collection claim and won a verdict on the counterclaim for over $470,000.
- Sticking up for local residents effected by Hurricane Sandy.
- Michael Hurwitz's litigation was recognized in a report published on the website of the New York State Bar Association, authored by leading New York City real estate law firm Adam Lietman Bailey PC. To view the report, click here.
"The Council Member is appreciative of your extraordinary effort..."
- New York City Council Member from Queens, New York commends Michael L Hurwitz's "extraordinary effort" in foreclosure defense litigation. To view a copy of the Councilman's letter to Mr. Hurwitz, click here.
"Outstanding Performance in Customer Service"
- Michael L. Hurwitz was recognized by the United States Department of Homeland Security,
Transportation Security Administration, Policy Claims Team
Law Firm Employees
Today, The Hurwitz Law Firm employs attorneys and paralegals knowledgeable about all aspects of consumer rights and debtor-creditor law, including credit card debt collection lawsuits, debt settlement, debt consolidation, bankruptcy and consumer rights.
Our attorneys and staff are friendly and patient with our clients, and are available by phone, email, or for a meeting in our office at your convenience. Spanish speaking paralegals are available upon request.